Re: win32 pgsql not installable

From: "Richard Sydney-Smith" <richard(at)ibisaustralia(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32 pgsql not installable
Date: 2004-07-28 15:29:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
>From: Christian Klemke

>Guys ! Please take into account that users will not be able to be run
the
>Postgres service on Win XP Home. XP Home does not offer the local
security
>policy editor and therefore it is not possible to have the
logon-as-service
>right for any user except administrators .........

I tried for several days to install the w32-postgres project. Finally
downloaded
Powergres which is now running without trouble on the HP notebook. From
your post I think the trouble is in the support ( lack of) for XP-Home.
I think there will be many with notbooks who would like to use postgres
as a development tool possibly with the view that the final application
will run on a XP/2000 or Linux server.

With all the hard work done and a great product nearly available it
would appear that the security issues are really hobbling the
finalisation of the w32 project.

Richard

---