German Special Chars (Umlaute)

To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: German Special Chars (Umlaute)
Date: 2004-05-04 21:54:34
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

hi everybody!

I need to set up a database that should be able to contain values that
include German special chars (Umlauts like &Auml;&auml;...). I therefore
created a database with 'LATIN1' as character encoding.

Afterwards I tried to access a table containing only one character
varying field for test purposes via JDBC:

Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
String url = "jdbc:postgresql://server:5432/umlaute";
Properties info = new Properties();
info.put("user", "usr");
info.put("password", "pw");
Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection(url, info);
Statement stmt = con.createStatement();
ResultSet rst = stmt.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM test");
rst.next();
System.out.println(rst.getString(1));

Everything works fine except instead of all the German special chars
strange symbols are displayed.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

Thanks

john

used system: PostgreSQL 7.3.4 on fedora core 1
MS Windows Client
various JDBC drivers tested