Is there a variant/anytype datatype in postgresql?

From: Rob Bochenek <rob_bochenek(at)evostc(dot)state(dot)ak(dot)us>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is there a variant/anytype datatype in postgresql?
Date: 2004-02-25 20:10:28
Lists: pgsql-general
Both oracle and MS-SQL server have a variant datatype which allows the
insertion of any data type except BLOBs.  A short integer is
concatenated onto the front of the piece of data being inserted into the
variant (SQL Server) or anytype(Oracle) which defines the type of data
in the field.  Does Postgresql have anything like this or is there
anyway to create such functionality?  I'm working on a data management
system for archiving heterogeneous data sets and my initial design
incorporates this variant data type.

Rob Bochenek

Data Systems Manager

Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Trustee Council