problems initializing migration

From: "Denise Bossarte" <bossarted(at)lorientech(dot)com>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: problems initializing migration
Date: 2002-11-12 16:54:33
Lists: pgadmin-support

Dear pgadmin-support:

I am having problems with the initial steps of migrating an Access Database and am hoping for some help.

I am running pgAdminII 1.2.0 on Win2000 which is connecting to a postrgreSQL database on a sever running Mandrake 8.2. I downloaded and installed the pgMigration 1.2.0 plugin and (apparently) successfully installed it following the instructions - I am able to access the plugin through pgAdminnII. I cannot, however, get the Migration Wizard to finish the migration process after making all the selections.

Here is what I am seeing...

I am testing the MW on a dummy database, AMTest, that I created that has one sample table. The table has full permissions available to Users.

On the first screen of the MW, I select
-"Access" as the "Database Type",
-".mdb File" as the dummy database "C:\JobTracker\ACMigration.mdb",
-provide my username and password for the database,
-select any number of additional options (have tried none to all - no difference), and hit "Next".
At this point I don't get a screen asking for the PostgreSQL database as expected from the instructions.

Instead I get a form asking me to "Please enter MS JET OLE DB Initialization Information".

This form contains:
-Data Source = "C:\JobTracker\ACMigration.mdb",
-User Name= my username ,
-Password = my password
-Provider String = (blank)
-Open Mode = DB_MODE_READWRITE (by default - tried all other options to no avail)

When I select "OK", I get the following error:

"An error has occured in Database Migration Wizard:Database Migration Wizard:frmWizard.dbConnect:
Number: -2147217843

I was originally connected to a network .mdw when I first received this error. I tried copying down the .mdw to my local machine and joining the local copy, but I still get the same error.

If I leave the username and password blank in the first screen I can work my way through the next few screens:
I can select the database to migrate into,
I can select the one table available in the database to migrate,
(there is no data or forieng keys to bother with, so the next two screens are NA),
Nothing appears on the final screen with the "Migrate db" button,
and when I hit the "Migrate db" button I get an error...

Creating table: stupid
An error occured at: 11/12/2002 11:41:08 AM:
-2147217911: Record(s) canot be read; no read permission on 'stupid'.
Rolling back...Done.

(This sort of makes sense to me because I did not provide a username and password earlier to the MW.)

I even tried making an ODBC connection to this database (SDN) and tried the "ODBC" Database Type option. With or without the username/password, I get the form for "Please enter MS JET OLE DB Initialization Information". However I fill out the form, I get the Number: -2147217843 error.

I don't know what else to try at this point. I even did some investigation into the mailing lists, but no one seemed to have problems at this stage of the game!

Any suggestions?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Denise Bossarte