cgywin-postgres install

From: "Leland F(dot) Jackson, CPA" <smvfp(at)mail(dot)smvfp(dot)com>
To: "All" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: cgywin-postgres install
Date: 2002-05-12 01:12:35
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi,

I've installed cgywin and postgres on a windows NT 4.0 server. I now have
postgres running as a service under window NT 4.0, and I can start and stop
postmaster easily using the windows services form. I can also connect to
postgres via psql and issue commands. Also, I have pgAdmin II install and I
can connect postgres using it. I have installed the Postgresql ODBC driver
and I have configured a connection to the template1 table which works just
fine.

After connecting to postres via pgAdmin II, I tried to create a new database
and received the following error:

ERROR CREATE DATABASE: could not initialize database directory.

I have tried all afternoon to correct this error, but no joy. Both the
postgres and root users have create database privileges and both are
assigned su status. Also, I've check permission under windows and all the
relevant directory are not read only. Also, all the relevant directories
allow the window's everyone full access privileges. On the cygwin side, I
have log in and assigned read and write privileges to the
/usr/share/postgres/data directory (e.g. chmod a+rw
/usr/share/postgresql/data and chmod a+rw /usr/share/postgresql/data/*) but
nothing seem to work. Does someone hold a pearl of wisdom that would unlock
the brick wall I am up against.