having a whole lot of trouble...

From: "isaac flemmin" <isaac(at)knox(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: having a whole lot of trouble...
Date: 2002-01-27 01:11:45
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

I am quite new to the installation and setup of PostgreSQL and thus far
have been able to compile and install version 7.1.3. I can then connect
to the database locally, etc. The problem I am having is in trying to
use either the libpq or the libpq++. No program I write, even if all I
do is include the header files, will compile. I have done a make
install-all-headers as root, and still have no luck when trying to
compile programs that use either library. I have read thru the faq's and
the doc files, added the library directories to my path in the manners
described etc, but I still have no luck when trying to compile a
program. The sample programs included with the source will not even
compile when I use a make. At this point it seems that the header files
are not my problem, because I no longer get files not found errors, or
what not. But when the compiler goes to link my program with the
libraries it just does not seem to want to do it. Is there any good
documentation out there on how to set up pqsql so I can write programs
with it. This is something that I need very urgently, since I am under a
deadline and have to have a program written that will put information
into the database by Monday. If anyone out there has any idea how to
help me please send me an email. Thank you very much in advance for
reading and responding to this email.

Sincerely

Isaac D. Flemming