RE: [INTERFACES] The problem between libpq and libpgtcl for WIN32

From: "Hiroki Kataoka" <kataoka(at)interwiz(dot)koganei(dot)tokyo(dot)jp>
To: "pgsql-interfaces" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] The problem between libpq and libpgtcl for WIN32
Date: 1998-12-21 14:44:56
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hello all.

	::

>  The word _declspec(dllimport) is Microsoft-specific and other compilers
>  can't handle this keyword ?
>
>  Magnus,  libpq for WIN32 is only for Microsoft Visual C++ ?
>  (Seems makefiles win32.mak are for Microsoft Visual C++).

  I think that the source code assumes Microsoft Visual C++ is used at the
compilation time of libpq. But it is general at using libpq from another
application.

>  For this problem,Tom Lane wrote
>
> > But it seems reasonable to add a corresponding function call, say
> >
> >	const char * PQresStatus (ExecStatusType status);
> >
> > and change libpgtcl to use that instead.  We could even deprecate
>
>  I agree with him because I don't like global data references.

  I agree with the addition of PQresStatus API.

>  But the way Hiroki proposed has a advantage that binaries(libpq,libpgtcl)
>  are invariant except the dll's for WIN32.

  I prepared another different method though looked like.  But, I think that
this method does not depend on MS VC++.  I want someone to try in the
environments other than MS VC++.

======== cut here ========
*** libpq-fe.h.dist     Tue Oct  6 23:16:48 1998
--- libpq-fe.h  Mon Dec 21 22:42:58 1998
***************
*** 50,56 ****
--- 50,61 ----
        } ExecStatusType;

  /* String descriptions of the ExecStatusTypes */
+ #ifdef WIN32
+       extern const char * const (* _imp_pgresStatus)[];
+ #define pgresStatus (* _imp_pgresStatus)
+ #else
        extern const char * const pgresStatus[];
+ #endif

  /* PGconn encapsulates a connection to the backend.
   * The contents of this struct are not supposed to be known to
applications.
*** libpqdll.def.dist   Tue Oct  6 23:05:02 1998
--- libpqdll.def        Mon Dec 21 22:38:06 1998
***************
*** 63,68 ****
        lo_unlink               @ 60
        lo_import               @ 61
        lo_export               @ 62
!       pgresStatus             @ 63
        PQmblen                 @ 64
        PQresultErrorMessage    @ 65
--- 63,68 ----
        lo_unlink               @ 60
        lo_import               @ 61
        lo_export               @ 62
!       pgresStatus             @ 63 DATA
        PQmblen                 @ 64
        PQresultErrorMessage    @ 65

  I do not think that my idea is final.  However, I think that we can port
the code of UNIX easily to the environment of WIN32 in this method.

  Thank you.

--
Hiroki Kataoka
kataoka(at)interwiz(dot)koganei(dot)tokyo(dot)jp