Re: BUG #6200: standby bad memory allocations on SELECT

From: Bridget Frey <bridget(dot)frey(at)redfin(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Brauwerman <michael(dot)brauwerman(at)redfin(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6200: standby bad memory allocations on SELECT
Date: 2012-01-31 13:47:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

We have no DDL whatsoever in the code. We do update rows in the
logins table frequently, but we basically have a policy of only doing
DDL changes during scheduled upgrades when we bring the site down. We
have been discussing this issue a lot and we really haven't come up
with anything that would be considered unusual here. The tables
experiencing issues have maybe 1M to 200M rows, we do updates and
selects frequently, they have standard btree primary key indexes, and
the failing query always seems to be a select for a single row based
on a primary key lookup. All of these code paths worked flawlessly
prior to our 9.1 upgrade (we had been using skytools replication).
And we see no problems on the master despite similar workloads there.
It is definitely puzzling, and we are not too sure what to look into
next...

Sent from my iPhone