Re: BUG #15631: Generated as identity field in a temporary table with on commit drop corrupts system catalogs

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, dnsl48(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15631: Generated as identity field in a temporary table with on commit drop corrupts system catalogs
Date: 2019-03-11 20:41:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2019-03-09 02:35, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 12:00:40PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> OK, let's go with this. Attached is your patch with my comment wording.
>
> Thanks for double-checking. Your change looks fine to me.
>
>> Also a test case, but I don't suggest committing that, it's a bit too
>> weird. (The effect of the test is to cause catalog corruption that will
>> cause a later test to fail.) We can leave it in the archive for posterity.
>
> Letting the test case out is fine for me too.

I looked into backpatching this, but the test case doesn't fail in PG10.
I ran a round of bisecting but didn't arrive at a sensible result. The
test case appears to be a bit random in its failure modes. The issue
could in principle extend further back, since the code in question isn't
really new. Any ideas or suggestions?