Re: BUG #16153: foreign key update should probably move dependent rows in the case of tuple rerouting

From: Arne Roland <A(dot)Roland(at)index(dot)de>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16153: foreign key update should probably move dependent rows in the case of tuple rerouting
Date: 2020-07-13 13:14:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello,

sorry, apparently I didn't sent my answer to the list.

> This seems to be a side-effect of how tuple updates work across partitions. My bet is that it's seen as just a deletion, which deletes the referencing tuple because of the ON DELETE CASCADE; then the other row is inserted and nothing else needs to happen. You don't have ON UPDATE CASCADE in your example, so my expectation would be that this should raise an error, per NO ACTION. But if you were to add ON UPDATE CASCADE, then yeah the referencing row should be moved too somehow.

I completely agree. Without looking to deep not sure whether moving a dependent row is a new feature, or the easiest way to fix the bug. Silently deleting feels like a bug.

The way this logic works should be changed. This doesn't only affect the dependent tuples, but obviously triggers on the same table as well. I'm somehow surprised this didn't surface earlier.

Regards
Arne