Re: BUG #16531: listen_addresses wide open?

From: "Bee(dot)Lists" <bee(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16531: listen_addresses wide open?
Date: 2020-07-08 22:03:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On Jul 8, 2020, at 5:57 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
>>> On Jul 8, 2020, at 12:24 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> Just to be sure, "show listen_addresses" actually shows that,
>>> and not something else?
>
>> I didn’t check, but then changed it to ‘*’ since troubleshooting these connection issues I’m having.
>
> Well, my point here is that you didn't close the loop to establish that
> what you thought you'd set listen_addresses to had actually taken effect.
> The default value is 'localhost', and there are several ways that that
> might still be the active value even if you'd edited the config file to
> say something else.

OK, then why even have a config file if it’s ignored, or possibly not ignored? Isn’t that the point of a config file?

>> The issue was that it WAS connecting when set to the LAN IP4 address only.
>
> That's pretty hard to believe; I think a configuration oversight is
> a much more likely explanation.
>
> regards, tom lane

Well, all of a sudden, my app was complaining that Pogtgres wasn’t accepting on that port, when the app had been using just that. Nothing changed and it suddenly went deaf. People suggested looking at the listen_addresses directive.

Cheers, Bee