Re: BUG #16369: Segmentation Faults and Data Corruption with Generated Columns

From: Terry Schmitt <tschmitt(at)schmittworks(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, cameron(dot)ezell(at)clearcapital(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16369: Segmentation Faults and Data Corruption with Generated Columns
Date: 2020-04-17 17:06:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I've tried creating a smaller test case, but it's difficult. I haven't
> fully understood the reason why it sometimes crashes and sometimes not.
> The smallest I could come up with so far is something like this:

For context, I work with Cameron, who submitted this bug.
I totally agree with Peter on this. We tried to simplify the test case on
our end, but the symptoms would change in odd ways. Changing the column
order would change the symptoms slightly and at times the columns with
DEFAULT values would be corrupt. It also seemed like string text based
columns would behave differently than integers.