Re: BUG #16314: Database Cache Hit Ratio (Warning)

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: rajiv(dot)mca08(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16314: Database Cache Hit Ratio (Warning)
Date: 2020-03-24 15:44:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 8:06 AM PG Bug reporting form <
noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Bug reference: 16314
> Logged by: Rajiv Ranjan
> Email address: rajiv(dot)mca08(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.6.0
> Operating system: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.6 (Maip)
>
> Hi,
>
> Currently, we are receiving a warning "Database Cache Hit Ratio
> (%)(Warning)" from one of the monitoring tools.

This is not a bug in PostgreSQL. It is arguably a bug in your unnamed
monitoring tool.

It is a dumb warning. The disk is there to be read from--doing so is not
inherently a problem. Ignore the warning or disable it.

Are the queries you care about too slow because data is occasionally read
from disk?

Cheers,

Jeff