Re: BUG #15966: Docs:

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Güttler <guettliml(at)thomas-guettler(dot)de>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #15966: Docs:
Date: 2019-08-19 15:43:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 9:23 AM PG Bug reporting form <
noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Bug reference: 15966
> Logged by: Thomas Güttler
> Email address: guettliml(at)thomas-guettler(dot)de
> PostgreSQL version: 11.5
> Operating system: Linux
>
> On this page I read this:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/functions-matching.html
>
> > If you have pattern matching needs that go beyond this, consider writing
> user-defined function in Perl or Tcl.
>
> I think Perl and Tcl are no more the most common languages to write
> user-defined functions.

What would be the most common? pl/python only comes in untrusted form, so
can only be used by the superuser. I think that rules it out as a general
recommendation. And SQL and PL/pgSQL don't solve the problem. Are there
any outside-of-standard-distribution languages which could qualify as
common?

> Maybe just remove "in Perl or Tcl" and provide a link to the general docs
> of
> user-defined functions.

I'd rather see the specific recommendations than just be tossed at
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/xfunc.htm and left to click around
until I eventually land somewhere useful to the task at hand. Maybe it
could direct to https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/xplang.html?

Cheers,

Jeff