Re: BUG #15499: pg_dump does not read connection URL from environment variable

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "yromero(at)onapsis(dot)com" <yromero(at)onapsis(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #15499: pg_dump does not read connection URL from environment variable
Date: 2018-11-12 21:03:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Monday, November 12, 2018, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> pg_dump's docs says this command can use connection string on --dbname
> argument[1].

A command line argument and the parameter it links to are two separate
things.

Also, the libpq environments variables's documentation says PGDATABASE
> behaves the same as the dbname connection parameter[2].

Which the linked portion then says:

"In certain contexts, the value is checked for extended formats;"

I try to pass connection string on PGDATABASE environment variable, but it
> does [not] work.

Which implies that PGDATABASE envvar interpretation is not one of those
places where the extended URI connection string format can be passed;
instead the environment variables covering the different parts need to be
used. Using them works one-to-one with the plain meaning of the parameters
they link to.

Probably the docs could use a note to that effect.

David J.