Re: BUG #16481: Stored Procedure Triggered by Logical Replication is Unable to use Notification Events

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vianello Fabio <fabio(dot)vianello(at)salvagninigroup(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(dot)taveira(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #16481: Stored Procedure Triggered by Logical Replication is Unable to use Notification Events
Date: 2020-06-09 15:10:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 12:36 AM Vianello Fabio <
fabio(dot)vianello(at)salvagninigroup(dot)com> wrote:

> Is PostgreSQL a serious product? For me the answer is "NO". A product with
> a bug that last for years and the community knows.
>
> It is not serious.

If you are trying to be a troll just go away, we don't need that here. If
you are just venting consider that this project is no more or less likely
to have oversights, incomplete documentation, or a myriad of other human
induced issues than any other.

Reading the linked bug report the conclusion was "won't fix - at least not
right now". Sure, it probably should have been documented but wasn't. It
happens. And given the lack of complaints in the intervening years the
decision, to not devote volunteer resources to a marginal feature, seems
like the right one. Your active recourse at this point is to either
convince a volunteer hacker to take up the cause - which your attitude
doesn't help - or pay someone to do it. Or figure out a personal
work-around to live with the current reality. Given that there is ongoing
discussion as a result of your report (i.e., the report has merit
regardless of how it was reported) means you should either meaningfully
contribute to the discussion or shut up until they are done - at which
point you are back to making a decision. Prompting politely for attention
if the thread seems to languish without a clear resolution is, IMO,
acceptable.

David J.