Re: BUG #16381: create table in pgAdmin4 but unable to use it in SQL

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "wangzehao1007(at)qq(dot)com" <wangzehao1007(at)qq(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16381: create table in pgAdmin4 but unable to use it in SQL
Date: 2020-04-20 05:32:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sunday, April 19, 2020, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Bug reference: 16381
> Logged by: Wang Zehao
> Email address: wangzehao1007(at)qq(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 12.0
> Operating system: win10
>
> When I was using pdAdmin4(Web UI) to create a table named 'Example' (with
> capital E), it executed successfully and I can saw the table on the
> sidebar.
> But when I opened the query tool on this table and tried to run ```insert
> into Example with value(a, b, c)```,it raises an error telling 'the table
> can't be found'. Then I changed the name of that table to 'example'(with
> lowercase e) (I changed it by right-clicking this table on sidebar and
> rename) and ran the exactly same SQL sentence, it executed perfectly.
> Maybe there should be a warning or a prevention when anyone try to create a
> table using GUI with capital letters in the name of it. Or maybe it's just
> wrong operation by myself?

PgAdmin has its own list/support channels where problems and suggestions
can be sent. This list is for reporting bugs (which this is not) on the
PostgreSQL server and the projects official related programs.

That said everything is working as it should. Warnings like what you
suggest become annoying once you’ve learned how things work, for which the
documentation is the place to reference. In this case the syntax of
identifiers.

David J.