Re: BUG #16149: Prepared COPY queries always report 0 parameters when described

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #16149: Prepared COPY queries always report 0 parameters when described
Date: 2019-12-05 01:15:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 5:22 PM PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Bug reference: 16149
> Logged by: Steven Fackler
> Email address: sfackler(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 12.1
> Operating system: Debian Buster
>
> When a Postgres backend describes a prepared `COPY ... TO STDOUT query`, it
> always reports 0 query parameters regardless of how many are actually
> present

Working as designed though I agree with the comment below that somehow it
has escaped documentation that this command is a utility command and
"query" cannot contain parameters.

PGresult *result = PQprepare(conn, "a", "COPY (SELECT $1::TEXT) TO
> STDOUT",
> 0, NULL);

[...]

> result = PQexecPrepared(conn, "a", 0, NULL, NULL, NULL, 0);
> When run, it prints the following:
>
> ```
> nparams: 0
> error: there is no parameter $1
> ```

Yep - though this is the odd error message - but it almost reads like
because you are using execPrepared the code is expecting a planned and
parameterized statement and is complaining, oddly, that it wasn't provided
one. Its OK to give it a statement that can accept parameters but has zero
but NOT OK to give it one that doesn't accept parameters at all.

> If you change the query to just the inner `SELECT $1::TEXT`, the number of
> parameters is correctly reported, but interestingly the error message
> changes:
>
> ```
> nparams: 1
> error: bind message supplies 0 parameters, but prepared statement "a"
> requires 1
> ```

Not that interesting, the PQexecPrepared call supplies zero parameter
values but the SELECT query is indeed expecting one.

> From some quick Googling, I did see this StackOverflow post[1] stating that
> COPY queries don't support parameters,

Yes

> but if that's the case it seems like
> an error should be reported at the preparation stage.

Seems reasonable...

> I also don't see
> anything about that in the documentation for COPY[2], though I may have
> missed it!

I do not either.

I see the same behavior on Postgres 11.1 as well, if that's
> relevant.

It supports the conclusion that the behavior is likely intentional.

David J.