Re: BUG #15728: an index that created with keyword ONLY, when add new partition ,should not be auto created

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: zhq651(at)126(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15728: an index that created with keyword ONLY, when add new partition ,should not be auto created
Date: 2019-04-02 15:12:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 4:04 AM PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Bug reference: 15728
> Logged by: DamionZ Zhao
> Email address: zhq651(at)126(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 11.2
> Operating system: linux
> [...]
> we see that index on population is created automaticly. Does it make
> sense?
> ONLY's means is different between created partiton and new partition.

Documented behavior.

"""
If the ONLY option is specified, no recursion is done, and the index is
marked invalid. (ALTER INDEX ... ATTACH PARTITION marks the index valid,
once all partitions acquire matching indexes.) Note, however, that any
partition that is created in the future using CREATE TABLE ...
PARTITION OF will
automatically have a matching index, regardless of whether ONLY is
specified.
"""

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/sql-createindex.html (Notes section)

David J.