Re: BUG #16531: listen_addresses wide open?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bee(dot)Lists" <bee(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16531: listen_addresses wide open?
Date: 2020-07-08 23:44:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wednesday, July 8, 2020, Bee.Lists <bee(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > Also, it's difficult to make much headway with a report that "nothing
> > changed" but things stopped working. Evidently *something* changed.
>
> I didn’t change anything. I didn’t edit anything. Nobody else has access
> to this server. It stopped working, which appears the way it should have
> behaved in the first place, according to the pg_hba.conf and
> postgresql.conf. So I thought I would inform the right people about a
> possible issue.

The intent is good, but as Tom’s initial response said the situation
presented could not be duplicated. Lacking a functioning demonstration of
the wrong behavior there isn’t much else to do. If someone wants to read
this and try to replicate the described problem, good for them. That is
beyond what I’d expect here given that this is a first report for the issue
and light on details at that (like how exactly does your application
connect).

David J.