Re: BUG #15420: Server crash. Segmentation fault when parsing xml file

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sergey Mirvoda <sergey(at)mirvoda(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Andrew Borodin <borodin(at)octonica(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15420: Server crash. Segmentation fault when parsing xml file
Date: 2018-10-05 14:48:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pá 5. 10. 2018 v 16:33 odesílatel Sergey Mirvoda <sergey(at)mirvoda(dot)com>
napsal:

> On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 7:00 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
>> Should we be officially deprecating XML facilities and telling people
>> to head towards JSON? There at least we have control of the quality
>> of implementation ...
>>
>> regards, tom lane
>>

> I believe MS SQL Server guys chosen JSON path some years ago.
> XML performance in SQL Server looks very deprecated.
> Actually we tried to load our data into MS SQL at first, but performance
> was below our needs even with xml index.

The bugs of libxml2 are unpleasant, on second hand, this library is fast
and almost time works well. One our benefit against other open source
databases is good XML support - and it cannot be replaced by JSON support.

Anybody who prefer absolute safety can use PostgreSQL without XML support.
We don't hide fact so we use libxml2, and anybody can check reputation of
libxml2

More - fresh libxml2 - 2.9.8 doesn't crash - so maybe this bug was fixed.

Regards

Pavel