Re: BUG #15376: Postgres sql 9.4.19 pg_upgrade stops with error The source cluster was not shut down cleanly.

From: kalyani kaniganti <kalyanithumati(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15376: Postgres sql 9.4.19 pg_upgrade stops with error The source cluster was not shut down cleanly.
Date: 2018-09-10 04:00:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the immediate reply.
We are using pg_ctl command to shutdown the old server with no option.In
this case the pg_ctl will consider as smart shutdown if no option is
specified as per documentation .
please find bellow command.
<new path for data dir>/bin/pg_ctl -D <olddata dir path> stop
We are using the same script for multiple releases in Postgres sql to
upgrade the database from 9.1 to 9.4 .
Same script is working fine in 9.4.17 version, while upgrading DB from 9.1
to 9.4.17.
From the release notes of 9.4.19 version we did not find any changes done
on pg_upgrade except one bug fix related to pg_upgrade has been fixed.
Do we have to add in our code to check for graceful shutdown or we have to
wait for the next release?
Please let us know if you have any workaround till the next minor patch is
released.

BR,
Kalyani