Re: BUG #16003: pg_basebackup failed with error : directory "xxxxxxx" exists but is not empty

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: RUIZ Sébastien <Sebastien(dot)RUIZ(at)harmonie-mutuelle(dot)fr>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16003: pg_basebackup failed with error : directory "xxxxxxx" exists but is not empty
Date: 2019-09-13 13:17:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 4:28 AM RUIZ Sébastien <
Sebastien(dot)RUIZ(at)harmonie-mutuelle(dot)fr> wrote:

> Hi Magnus,
>

> Thanks for the reply.
>

> We have tablespace directories inside other tablespaces because we have a
> technical schema (call »tech) into each database.
>
> So we can’t put thoses tablespaces (for tech) anywhere else (they have the
> same name).

I don't understand that argument. The only *reason* to have multiple
tablespaces is to put them in different locations. If you put them in the
same location, why have them at all? Just move everything to the main
tablespace and remove them.

You can have an unlimited (more or less) number of schemas in the same
database, in the same tablespace. There is no connection whatsoever between
schemas and tablespaces.

> Well… it’s our choice. Probably it’s not a good choice but it’s done and
> it will be very difficult to change this actually.
>

> But do you think it’s impossible for dev team to change pg_basebackup so
> that it works in this case ?

Nothing is impossible. Worse case you could always have a fork created for
your specific environment. But compared to either of those options it will
be easier to actually fix your installation.

> (by the way, i’m not sure it’s the right way to answer like this (reply
> this mail) for the comunication on this list. I don’t know how i can do
> otherwise…)

That is definitely the correct way.

//Magnus