Re: BUG #15636: PostgreSQL 11.1 pg_basebackup backup to a CIFS destination throws fsync error at end of backup

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John Klann <jk7255(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #15636: PostgreSQL 11.1 pg_basebackup backup to a CIFS destination throws fsync error at end of backup
Date: 2019-02-22 22:20:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

So, for this patch tolerating EINVAL for fsync of directories (but not
files), enabling eg pg_backbackup on CIFS on eg Linux 3.10 to work,
tested by John, we have:

Stephen: +1
Michael: -0.1
Thomas: -0.1

Any other opinions?

Just in case you think it's strange that I'm voting against my own
patch: I'd probably be for it if I hadn't discovered that they've
fixed this in Linux 3.16 and later so that it succeeds. It's
apparently not in the default RHEL 6 and 7 kernels, though, and the
latter could be around for a while. I'm not entirely sure what amount
of work we should be doing to tolerate problems that are fixed in a
newer versions. One argument is that a 3.10 user who cares about this
should petition RH to back-port the fix into that kernel. (The nearby
WSL thread has some things in common but is a more clear cut case IMV
because there is no fix available on the WSL side.)

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com