Re: BUG #15759: Lot of idle connection created by "SET extra_float_digits = 3"

From: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
To: anup singh <midas(dot)anup(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15759: Lot of idle connection created by "SET extra_float_digits = 3"
Date: 2019-04-16 14:40:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Anup:

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:19 PM anup singh <midas(dot)anup(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> We have Max 100 connection. If you see the screen shot in previous mail, most of the idle connection are taken by "SET extra_float_digits = 3" bit. After sometime application says "fatal error - reached Max connection, 3 connection are reserved for PG".

What Tomas was trying to tell you is that your connections are not
"taken" or "executing" the "set extra..." they are Idle, not doing
anything. When a conection is Idle, not doing anything, the "query
text" shows the last command executed, but it has already finished.

The root cause of your problem is probably a connection leak in your
application, or something like that, someone opening connections,
preparing them with the set and them forgetting about them without
closing, but given you have not told anything about your application
setup or other details there is nothing people can do to aid you (
except telling "you need to post more details" ).

Francisco Olarte.