Re: BUG #15609: synchronous_commit=off insert performance regression with secondary indexes

From: "Saul, Jean Paolo" <paolo(dot)saul(at)verizonconnect(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Subject: Re: BUG #15609: synchronous_commit=off insert performance regression with secondary indexes
Date: 2019-02-12 02:00:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Thanks for the tip Peter. Unfortunately it did not move the needle. Just
curious what numbers are you getting when you are testing?

-------------------
PG9.5

PG11

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 14:42, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:36 PM Saul, Jean Paolo
> <paolo(dot)saul(at)verizonconnect(dot)com> wrote:
> > Using prepared and extended. No luck.
>
> And your checkpoint settings?
>
> The performance you're seeing is pretty bad for a server that has more
> than 40GB of memory. I can get far superior performance on the same
> benchmark with a relatively inexpensive workstation, at least on the
> master branch.
>
> Try these for a start if you're using default checkpoint settings, as
> I suspect you are:
>
> checkpoint_timeout=5min
> min_wal_size=10GB
> max_wal_size=40GB
> wal_compression=on
> backend_flush_after=0
> checkpoint_flush_after=256kB
> checkpoint_completion_target=0.9
>
> --
> Peter Geoghegan

PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT BEFORE PRINTING THIS EMAIL

VERIZON CONNECT CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message is intended for the addressee only and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination, reliance upon or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete this message. Thank you.