Re: BUG #15609: synchronous_commit=off insert performance regression with secondary indexes

From: "Saul, Jean Paolo" <paolo(dot)saul(at)verizonconnect(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Subject: Re: BUG #15609: synchronous_commit=off insert performance regression with secondary indexes
Date: 2019-01-30 04:26:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the tip! I did not think of that.

That seems to have narrowed down the regression to Boolean data types only.
I will run the test now against the most common base types that we use and
report back.

Is this a known regression/bug on PG10+? Sorry I could not find any
reference to this bug.

Cheers,

Paolo

p.s. Yes I am comparing PG installations on the same hardware and OS.

Test results below.
------------------------------
DEFAULT CONF VERSION TPS DIFF FROM PG95
PKEY ONLY
PG9.5 44633 0.0%
PG9.6 44947 0.7%
PG10 45069 1.0%
PG11 44868 0.5%
+ BOOL INDEX ONLY
PG9.5 43086 0.0%
PG9.6 43275 0.4%
PG10 43741 1.5%
PG11 43638 1.3%
+ INT INDEX ONLY
PG9.5 43169 0.0%
PG9.6 42306 -2.0%
PG10 43525 0.8%
PG11 44078 2.1%
+ TEXT INDEX ONLY
PG9.5 41918 0.0%
PG9.6 42117 0.5%
PG10 42339 1.0%
PG11 42680 1.8%

SYNCHRONOUS_COMMIT=OFF VERSION TPS DIFF FROM PG95
PKEY ONLY
PG9.5 104048 0.0%
PG9.6 99267 -4.6%
PG10 104050 0.0%
PG11 116392 11.9%
+ BOOL INDEX ONLY
PG9.5 68366 0.0%
PG9.6 71196 4.1%
PG10 53265 -22.1%
PG11 52031 -23.9%
+ INT INDEX ONLY
PG9.5 102265 0.0%
PG9.6 96054 -6.1%
PG10 101051 -1.2%
PG11 113278 10.8%
+ TEXT INDEX ONLY
PG9.5 103689 0.0%
PG9.6 95384 -8.0%
PG10 101014 -2.6%
PG11 112658 8.7%

FSYNC=OFF VERSION TPS DIFF FROM PG95
PKEY ONLY
PG9.5 91968 0.0%
PG9.6 88558 -3.7%
PG10 94235 2.5%
PG11 100683 9.5%
+ BOOL INDEX ONLY
PG9.5 64236 0.0%
PG9.6 67519 5.1%
PG10 47473 -26.1%
PG11 46812 -27.1%
+ INT INDEX ONLY
PG9.5 89027 0.0%
PG9.6 85790 -3.6%
PG10 91315 2.6%
PG11 96348 8.2%
+ TEXT INDEX ONLY
PG9.5 87348 0.0%
PG9.6 84636 -3.1%
PG10 89983 3.0%
PG11 95333 9.1%

PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT BEFORE PRINTING THIS EMAIL

VERIZON CONNECT CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message is intended for the addressee only and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination, reliance upon or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete this message. Thank you.