RE: BUG #16481: Stored Procedure Triggered by Logical Replication is Unable to use Notification Events

From: Vianello Fabio <fabio(dot)vianello(at)salvagninigroup(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: BUG #16481: Stored Procedure Triggered by Logical Replication is Unable to use Notification Events
Date: 2020-06-12 06:21:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Just to help those who find themselves in the same situation, there is a simple application-level workaround which consists in listening to the notifications in the replica when they are issued by the master and vice versa.

We are programming in .NET and we use a code like this:

Code in the replica side:

var csb = new NpgsqlConnectionStringBuilder
{
Host = "master",
Database = "MasterDB",
Port = 5432,
Username = "postgres",
Password = "XXXXXXX",

};
var connection = new NpgsqlConnection(csb.ConnectionString);
connection.Open();
using (var command = new NpgsqlCommand("listen \"Table\"", connection))
{
command.ExecuteNonQuery();
}
connection.Notification += PostgresNotification;

So you can listen from the replica every changed raised by a trigger on the master from the replica side on the table "Table".

CREATE TRIGGER master_trigger
AFTER INSERT OR DELETE OR UPDATE
ON public."TABLE"
FOR EACH ROW
EXECUTE PROCEDURE public.master_notice();

ALTER TABLE public."Tabele"
ENABLE ALWAYS TRIGGER master_trigger;

CREATE FUNCTION public. master_notice ()
RETURNS trigger
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'
COST 100
VOLATILE NOT LEAKPROOF
AS $BODY$
BEGIN
PERFORM pg_notify('Table', Cast(NEW."ID" as text));
RETURN NEW;
END;
$BODY$;

ALTER FUNCTION public.incupdate1_notice()
OWNER TO postgres;

I hope that help someone, because the bug last from "years". I tried in version 10 11 and 12, so it is present since 2017-10-05 and I can't see any solution on 13 beta.

Best Regards.
Fabio.