Re: BUG #16531: listen_addresses wide open?

From: "Bee(dot)Lists" <bee(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16531: listen_addresses wide open?
Date: 2020-07-08 23:11:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On Jul 8, 2020, at 6:35 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> You might have forgotten to restart (not just reload) the service after
> editing. There'd have been a postmaster log message telling you that the
> new value wasn't applied yet, but you wouldn't know it if you didn't think
> to check the log file.

Over the last year I’ve restarted Postgres as well as the machine, both several times.

> Or you might've forgotten to uncomment that config file line, or edited
> the wrong copy of the config file (we've all been there). Or there might
> have been another entry in the config file (or the pg.auto.conf file)
> overriding the one you changed.

I checked ‘show all;’ in psql after I edited it. So the file was the correct one.

> And there's still the possibility of multiple postmasters on the machine.
> Or other mistakes I'm not thinking of at the moment.
>
> Checking the "show" result would have been a handy way to start narrowing
> down the possibilities.
>
> Anyway, while it remains possible that you saw a Postgres or kernel bug,
> I think pilot error is a far more likely explanation --- especially since
> I reproduced what you said you did on a similar platform (RHEL8) and did
> not see any such problem.
>
>> Well, all of a sudden, my app was complaining that Pogtgres wasn’t accepting on that port, when the app had been using just that. Nothing changed and it suddenly went deaf. People suggested looking at the listen_addresses directive.
>
> Well, that does NOT square with how you've been describing the problem.
> You've been claiming that applications are successfully connecting when
> they shouldn't, which seems the exact opposite of this.

That above, is what got me investigating. The recommendation lead me to that directive where the application should have NEVER had any authentication.

> Also, it's difficult to make much headway with a report that "nothing
> changed" but things stopped working. Evidently *something* changed.

I didn’t change anything. I didn’t edit anything. Nobody else has access to this server. It stopped working, which appears the way it should have behaved in the first place, according to the pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf. So I thought I would inform the right people about a possible issue.

Cheers, Bee