Re: BUG #15414: extension compilation fails when c++ files are named with .cc

From: Jerry Sievert <jerry(at)legitimatesounding(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15414: extension compilation fails when c++ files are named with .cc
Date: 2018-10-01 21:16:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I'm not following? Are you blaming me for suggesting to few, or too many
> file extensions? What does make the above list disingenuous?

No, you presented a straw-man argument that seems to suggest that if a change were made now, that there would be continual changes that would need to be back ported indefinitely.

> I don't think the existance of a %.bc: %.C rule would cause problems,
> even on a case-insensitive system? Obviously it'd be problematic if
> there's such files in the external project, and that project wants to
> support a case-insensitive FS, but that's not really our problem as the
> goal is to support outside conventions, no?

Perhaps not, but it would be appropriate to look at the projects that have been active, in use, and part of the pg ecosystem long before decisions are made, and not just dismiss them out of hand.