Re: BUG #16393: PANIC: cannot abort transaction, it was already committed

From: Andreas Seltenreich <andreas(dot)seltenreich(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16393: PANIC: cannot abort transaction, it was already committed
Date: 2020-05-05 20:44:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane writes:
> PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> One of our customers recently experienced the following PANIC with
>> PostgreSQL 11.5 on AIX:
>> PANIC: cannot abort transaction 1234567890, it was already committed
>
> That's probably just a side-effect of some other problem. There's
> no strong reason to think that it's the same thing as #15727.
> Can you provide a reproducer by any chance?

I did inquire about getting my hands on the schema or a shell to a test
instance of the database for further analysis, but it's difficult as the
system is highly guarded by our customer. I'm afraid I won't be able to
contribute more info until then.

Andres Freund writes:
> On 2020-04-27 09:19:05 +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
>> There is a striking similarity to BUG #15727 from 2019 where this
>> PANIC also occured during error handling. Archive link to the old
>> bug: https://postgr.es/m/15727-0be246e7d852d229@postgresql.org
> It doesn't immediately see that similar to me. What makes you think it
> is?

That was just my superficial impression after looking at recipe and
backtrace of #15727 (IIRC an error occures during error handling leading
to the same panic). I communicated to the customer that it's not clear
to me whether they are actually related but somehow I worded the bug
report with more prejudice than I intended, probably out of hope for a
quick backport fix. Your not seeing it squashed that though :-)

thanks,
Andreas