Re: BUG #15768: Removed rpms and now require /etc/redhat-release

From: Matt Harter <Matt(dot)Harter(at)genesys(dot)com>
To: Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #15768: Removed rpms and now require /etc/redhat-release
Date: 2019-04-18 11:18:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Well whether or not it is officially supported, it still works on amazon linux, and since their default repositories are behind on postgres (which of course is really an amazon limitation) we have to manually add the repository. Since the recent change that added a required dependency (which is clearly NOT required for amazon linux), our previously working deploy pipelines are now blocked/broken. We have temporarily mitigated the issue by using rpm and explicitly ignoring the repositories dependencies, but that seems like a band-aid fix for the real problem which is that dependency shouldn’t be there. Why does a repository need to enforce the os it is on? If a consumer wants to do something “wrong” or against the documented way to do things, their issues are their problem.

On 4/18/19, 4:07 AM, "Devrim Gündüz" <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org> wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 12:20 +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
> Amazon linux does not have /etc/redhat-release and our pipelines are broken
> because the repositories we were using to add to yum are no longer there
> without requiring /etc/redhat-release. We are a CI/CD system so manually
> adding this is not an option.

Amazon Linux support was removed years ago actually. I just made sure that our
repo file reflects that.

Regards,
--
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer