Re: BUG #16034: `\set ECHO all` doesn't work for \e command

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pavlo(dot)golub(at)cybertec(dot)at
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16034: `\set ECHO all` doesn't work for \e command
Date: 2019-10-02 15:56:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> I want command sent to the server with \e command to be echoed to the
> terminal.

Uh, what? \e doesn't send anything to the server, it just edits
the query buffer locally.

I could interpret your request as being that ECHO_HIDDEN causes "hidden"
commands to be shoved into the command history (whence they could be
recalled and edited) as well as being echoed. While I can see some
use-case for that, I think it'd more usually be an annoyance and/or break
cases that work today. If we decide that's a useful feature, I'd vote
for leaving ECHO_HIDDEN alone and inventing a separate variable to enable
it (HISTORY_HIDDEN, or some such?).