Re: BUG #15881: \d name_of_any_table_in_any_database produces ERROR

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: c Campo <cc(at)cj3(dot)cc>
Cc: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15881: \d name_of_any_table_in_any_database produces ERROR
Date: 2019-06-28 13:00:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On 28 Jun 2019, at 14:55, c Campo <cc(at)cj3(dot)cc> wrote:

> I don't know what postgres intends to use older versions of psql to connect to version 12; if postgres intends with RELEASE version 12 to only use version 12 of psql to connect to the version 12 postgres, then postgres is ok; if not, then there is a problem. If the intension is the former, then documentation should state so.

The documentation states this in Notes section for psql:

"psql works best with servers of the same or an older major version.
Backslash commands are particularly likely to fail if the server is of
a newer version than psql itself. However, backslash commands of the
\d family should work with servers of versions back to 7.4, though not
necessarily with servers newer than psql itself."

See https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/app-psql.html for reference.

cheers ./daniel