Re: BUG #15923: Prepared statements take way too much memory.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15923: Prepared statements take way too much memory.
Date: 2019-07-24 22:23:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Prepared Statements take too much memory.

I'm not really sure what you expect us to do about this. If you
PREPARE a bunch of statements and never DEALLOCATE them, then yes
they're going to consume memory; maybe a lot of memory if the
plans are complex.

The only thing we could do to reduce the memory consumption is to
throw away the plans, which kind of defeats the purpose of a
prepared statement, wouldn't you say? And even holding onto enough
information to re-create the plan later would consume some amount
of memory, so you will still have a problem if you keep making
prepared statements and never release them.