Re: BUG #15827: Unable to connect on Windows using pg_services.conf using Python psycopg2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Jorge Gustavo Rocha <jgr(at)geomaster(dot)pt>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15827: Unable to connect on Windows using pg_services.conf using Python psycopg2
Date: 2019-06-21 00:48:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> Thanks for testing. It seems to me that the current behavior is just
> annoying, so there is a good argument for back-patching. Now it is
> true that we have had few complaints on the matter over the years, and
> usually in those cases we bother only about HEAD. I would still do a
> back-patch in this case. Any Thoughts from others?

I'm still of the opinion that

(1) it's very weird that this code allows for leading space on a line
but not trailing space;

(2) we need to look for other places where we have the same issue.

Possibly libpq is the only chunk of our code that's at serious risk,
since we don't change the default binary mode in the backend. But
even if you assume that that's true, this isn't the only config file
that libpq examines.