Re: BUG #16154: pg_ctl restart with a logfile fails sometimes (on Windows)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexander Law <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #16154: pg_ctl restart with a logfile fails sometimes (on Windows)
Date: 2019-12-07 16:54:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Alexander Law <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> What is the reason for the previous shell still accessing logfile?
> Is the reason that we don't close it before unlinking the pid file?

> We can't close the logfile, as it is opened by CMD, not by the postgres
> process. (Postmaster is started by the command "CMD.EXE /C postgres ...
>> logfile".) So it is closed by the CMD shell after the postgres process
> exits and the postgres can't control this (as a child process).

Hmm ... so if we were talking about Unix, a reasonable solution would
be to avoid having a separate shell process, either by telling the shell
to "exec" the postmaster or by using fork/exec directly with no shell.
A 99% solution would be to use "&" so that the shell doesn't wait around
for the postmaster to die.

Are any of those ideas tenable on Windows?