Re: BUG #16351: PostgreSQL closing connection during requests with segmentation fault

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Johannes Mols <johannes(dot)mols(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Hamid Akhtar <hamid(dot)akhtar(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16351: PostgreSQL closing connection during requests with segmentation fault
Date: 2020-04-09 13:40:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Johannes Mols <johannes(dot)mols(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I did, but I'm unable to do so. The wiki asks me to enable debug packages
> as described here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash
> I then found the postgresql-10-dbg package here:
> https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/postgresql/trusty-pgdg/main/base/postgresql-10-dbg
> postgresql-10-dbg : Depends: postgresql-10 (= 10.8-1.pgdg14.04+1) but
> 10.12-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 is to be installed

That's the wrong repo, evidently. You got the code from the PGDG
repository, so you need to get the matching debug-symbol package
from the same place. I gather you don't have the PGDG repo enabled
by default. I'm not a debian/ubuntu person so I'm not sure about
the exact commands to enable a non-default repo for apt-get.

It looks like there may be a version skew problem as well. 10.12
is the latest v10 release, 10.8 is, um, not. If you are still on
10.8 then it would behoove you to first update to 10.12 and see
if maybe we already fixed the bug. In any case, you have to find
a debug-symbol package that *exactly* matches your installed code,
or it's worthless.