Re: BUG #15723: Export fails 'worker process died unexpectedly' but no error in pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ana-mur21s(at)yandex(dot)ru
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15723: Export fails 'worker process died unexpectedly' but no error in pg_dump
Date: 2019-03-29 14:14:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Bug reference: 15723
> Logged by: Anna Muravieva
> Email address: ana-mur21s(at)yandex(dot)ru
> PostgreSQL version: 9.6.1
> Operating system: linux

> Hello

> We have currently that issue. "worker process died unexpectedly" was caused
> by the lock on the table, which was generated because of the truncate we
> use. This seems to cause the Postgres pg_dump worker process to exit
> abnormally. Why this is not an Error or Warning in Postgres or pg_dump, What
> we see is that pg_dump exits at this point and has not exported part of the
> database. Again this feels like a Bug with Postgres or pg_dump. Could you
> please help to understand

9.6.1 is pretty old, and since then we've fixed a number of bugs in
pg_dump and/or pg_restore that could cause problems in parallel restores.
Please update to current (9.6.12) and see if the problem still occurs.

If it is still there, you'd need to provide more details, like what SQL
command fails exactly.