Re: BUG #15804: Assertion failure when using logging_collector with EXEC_BACKEND

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Yuli Khodorkovskiy <yuli(dot)khodorkovskiy(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15804: Assertion failure when using logging_collector with EXEC_BACKEND
Date: 2019-09-10 14:58:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 01:28:51AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> But the external PID file is a different story. I can believe that
>> something might be expecting the sockets to be open before we create
>> that file --- and since we're not using that file for an interlock,
>> there's no reason to be in a hurry to create it. I think it'd make
>> sense to move that step further down, so it's still done after the
>> create-sockets step.

> That's the actual take here. We cannot assume that nobody is relying
> on that. If they do, it could be tricky to rework this logic. Moving
> the external file write a bit later does not sound like a bad thing in
> itself to keep more consistency with the past.

Here's a version that does it like that. After studying things a bit,
it seemed like a good idea to also move RemovePgTempFiles() down,
so that that possibly-slow step still occurs after making the external
PID file. Everything else that we've moved to before that step
should be reasonably quick.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
postpone-port-opening-3.patch text/x-diff 7.9 KB