Re: BUG #16497: old and new pg_controldata WAL segment sizes are invalid or do not match

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, ram(dot)maurya(at)lavainternational(dot)in, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16497: old and new pg_controldata WAL segment sizes are invalid or do not match
Date: 2020-06-18 14:30:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 10:18:21AM -0400, Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 4:05 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 09:00:23PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
> > I am facing error during upgrade from postgresql -11 to 12.
> > can you please suggest what is solution.
>
> As the error message is telling, you need to make the WAL segment
> sizes of the old and new clusters match.  This can be defined at
> server initialization time using initdb with a default of 16MB, so
> that's not a bug from us, but something you need to take care of
> within your upgrade process.
>

> Since wal-segsize is changeable with pg_resetwal since v11, and pg_upgrade is
> already calling pg_resetwal, shouldn't pg_upgrade ideally just deal with this
> situation automatically by allowing the upgrade to also change this value,
> rather than forcing the user to make them match manually?

Uh, well, pg_upgrade is very conservative and fails if anything looks
odd, like different WAL sizes. Since pg_upgrade doesn't even copy the
WAL from the old server, I am not sure why we require the WAL segment
size to match, but it might be so we can run pg_upgrade on replicas.

The bottom line is that pg_upgrade is complex enough, and having it try
to do more is not a wise approach.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com