Re: BUG #16427: pgsql_tmp - temp files not released

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: murali(dot)natti(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16427: pgsql_tmp - temp files not released
Date: 2020-05-10 12:32:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 12:44:18AM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
>The following bug has been logged on the website:
>
>Bug reference: 16427
>Logged by: Murali Natti
>Email address: murali(dot)natti(at)gmail(dot)com
>PostgreSQL version: 10.5
>Operating system: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.10 (Sant
>
>Hello Team,
>
>We have observed a bug ( I guess ) that temporary files were not deleted
>automatically even thought the respective PIDs are not running anymore.
>
>We couldn't take a chance to delete files manually so ended up with
>restarting database to clear temp files.
>
>Is this know bug, what could be the reason for this? Can anyone please let
>us know?

I don't think we're aware of any live bug in this area (although you're
a couple of minor releases behind, and I haven't checked release notes
between 10.5 and 10.12).

I think you need to investigate what happened to the backends/commands
that created the temporary files. Presumably it was interrupted or
terminated in a way that prevented proper cleanup.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com