Re: BUG #16122: segfault pg_detoast_datum (datum=0x0) at fmgr.c:1833 numrange query

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Adam Scott <adam(dot)c(dot)scott(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16122: segfault pg_detoast_datum (datum=0x0) at fmgr.c:1833 numrange query
Date: 2019-11-19 03:04:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 06:22:11PM -0800, Adam Scott wrote:
> Maybe a clue to the issue, why does a numrange need to be detoasted since
> that is for large strings?

I looked at the code a bit but could not really figure out what could
go wrong. Then I switched my strategy and bisected for the first
commit leading to the failure, and this is pointing me to the
integration of stdbool.h for my environment (Debian SID with kernel at
5.3):
commit: 9a95a77d9d5d3003d2d67121f2731b6e5fc37336
author: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:42:25 -0400
Use stdbool.h if suitable

Using the standard bool type provided by C allows some recent compilers
and debuggers to give better diagnostics. Also, some extension code and
third-party headers are increasingly pulling in stdbool.h, so it's
probably saner if everyone uses the same definition.

I have also checked that manually and I am getting a match. And the
thing is that this commit did not make it through 10...
--
Michael