Re: BUG #16045: vacuum_db crash and illegal memory alloc after pg_upgrade from PG11 to PG12

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: buschmann(at)nidsa(dot)net, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16045: vacuum_db crash and illegal memory alloc after pg_upgrade from PG11 to PG12
Date: 2019-10-09 13:24:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 08, 2019 at 05:08:53PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
> [...]
>------------------+------------------------------------+-----------+----------+---------+----------+--------------+-------------
> table_name | information_schema.sql_identifier | |
> | | plain | |
> column_name | information_schema.sql_identifier | |
> | | plain | |
> ordinal_position | information_schema.cardinal_number | |
> | | plain | |
> col_qualifier | text | |
> | | extended | |
> id_column | information_schema.sql_identifier | |
> | | plain | |
> id_default | information_schema.character_data | |
> | | extended | |
>Access method: heap
>
>When trying to select * from q_tbl_archiv I got:
>
>cpsdb=# select * from q_tbl_archiv;
>ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size 18446744073709551613
>
>This table was created a long time back under 9.5 or 9.6 with the (here
>truncated) following command:
>

>create table q_tbl_archiv as
>with
>qseason as (
>select table_name,column_name, ordinal_position
>,replace(column_name,'_season','') as col_qualifier
>-- ,'id_'||replace(column_name,'_season','') as id_column
>from information_schema.columns
>where
>column_name like '%_season'
>and ordinal_position < 10
>and table_name in (
> 'table1'
>,'table2'
>-- here truncated:
>-- ... (here where all table of mine having columns like xxx_season)
>-- to reproduce, change to your own tablenames in a test database
>)
>order by table_name
>)
>select qs.*,c.column_name as id_column, c.column_default as id_default
>from
> qseason qs
> left join information_schema.columns c on c.table_name=qs.table_name and
>c.column_name like 'id_%'
>;
>
>Until now this table was always restored without error by migrating to a new
>major version through pg_dump/initdb/pr_restore.
>
>To verify the integrity of the table I restored the dump taken under pg_dump
>from pg 11.5 just before the pg_upgrade to another machine.
>
>The restore and analyze went OK and select * from q_tbl_archiv showed all
>tuples, eg (edited):
>
>cpsdb_dev=# select * from q_tbl_archiv;
> table_name | column_name | ordinal_position | col_qualifier
>| id_column | id_default
>--------------------------+--------------+------------------+---------------+-----------+----------------------------------------------------------
> table1 | chm_season | 2 | chm
>| |
> table2 | cs_season | 2 | cs
>| id_cs | nextval('table2_id_cs_seq'::regclass)
>
>In conclusion, this seems to me like an error/omission of pg_upgrade.

There's clearly something bad happening. It's a bit strange, though. Had
this been a data corruption issue, I'd expect the pg_dump to fail too,
but it succeeds.

>It seems to handle these specially derived tables from information_schema
>not correctly, resulting in failures of the upgraded database.

Well, I don't see how that should make any difference. It's a CTAS and
that should create a regular table, that's not an issue. I wonder if
there were some changes to the data types involved, but that would be
essentially a break in on-disk format and we're careful about not doing
that ...

>For me, this error is not so crucial, because this table is only used for
>administrative purposes and can easily be restored from backup.
>
>But I want to share my findings for the sake of other users of pg_upgrade.

OK, thanks. Could you maybe set

log_error_verbosity = verbose

before invoking the vacuum (you can set that in that session)? That
should give us more details about where exactly the error is triggered.
Even better, if you could attach a debugger to the session, set
breakpoints on locations triggering 'invalid memory alloc request size'
and then show the backtrace (obviously, that's more complicated).

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com