Re: BUG #16039: PANIC when activating replication slots in Postgres 12.0 64bit under Windows

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: buschmann(at)nidsa(dot)net, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #16039: PANIC when activating replication slots in Postgres 12.0 64bit under Windows
Date: 2019-10-08 16:09:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

On 2019-10-08 09:32:40 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 06, 2019 at 01:55:48PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > It would have been nice to add some sanity checks based on fcntl() but
> > directory handling in pg_fsync() makes that annoying.

I wondered about adding something like that too. Not sure what you mean
by directory handling problems? Couldn't that just be solved by doing an
fstat()?

> > Anyway, I have checked the code with a little trick, and I have
> > spotted a second bug: CheckPointLogicalRewriteHeap() fsyncs a
> > logical rewrite mapping file with RDONLY. This is incorrect since
> > b89e151.

Yuck :(. Luckily that's a pretty narrow case to hit. We really need
windows coverage for this stuff. And also just general buildfarm
coverage, it's not like we're immune from bugs on unixoid OSs etiher.

> Andres, others, any thoughts about this issue? Are there any
> objections if I just fix it?

Not here.

Greetings,

Andres Freund