Re: BUG #16042: incorrect .gitignore file

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: stuchalin(dot)d(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16042: incorrect .gitignore file
Date: 2019-10-05 16:34:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

On 2019-10-05 12:28:01 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> > The source codes contain the file src/bin/pg_waldump/.gitignore
> > This file contains the line /*desc.c
> > This line does not give the correct commit file rmgrdesc.c from this
> > directory to the "my" git repository.
>
> Yeah, somebody was being overly lazy there. I cleaned it up.

Seems like adding a !rmgrdesc.c pattern would have a been easier?

• An optional prefix "!" which negates the pattern; any matching file excluded by a previous pattern will become
included again. It is not possible to re-include a file if a parent directory of that file is excluded. Git
doesn’t list excluded directories for performance reasons, so any patterns on contained files have no effect, no
matter where they are defined. Put a backslash ("\") in front of the first "!" for patterns that begin with a
literal "!", for example, "\!important!.txt".

Greetings,

Andres Freund