RE: BUG #15953: performance issues using 11.5-1.pgdg+1 over 11.5-1

From: easteregg(at)verfriemelt(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: BUG #15953: performance issues using 11.5-1.pgdg+1 over 11.5-1
Date: 2019-08-14 03:23:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

after the bugreport i found in the pgapt repository the jenkins build pipeline, and there its configured to enable this debug feature the debian sid build.
this is kind of unexpected, because wiki for the apt repo states the following:

> What's the difference between the PostgreSQL packages provided by Debian/Ubuntu and by the PGDG apt repository?
>
> Pretty little, actually. The PGDG packages are built from the same source as the Debian
> packages (Ubuntu is using the same source for the PostgreSQL server packages as well).
> We try to follow Debian unstable's versions as close as possible, i.e. the packages
> available here are the same, just rebuilt with a ".pgdg" appended to the version number.
> We are also using the same postgresql-common infrastructure packages.

so if i want to avoid this performance penalty for my devbox, i have to mixmatch debian releases in the sources, which will break eventually.
why not providing a normal build of postgresql and a postgresql-assertions-enabled package?

someone noticed this already here: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20170610202102.vz5l4eudghktvwgj%40msg.df7cb.de

and the commit in the pgapt repository responsible for this is this one:

commit 451838f53eecb8f769c1c5bb8b07c84e32717aeb
Author: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Date: Mon Apr 17 12:57:04 2017 +0200

Enable cassert in the PostgreSQL server packages on sid