Re: BUG #15888: Bogus "idle in transaction" state for logical decoding client after creating a slot

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, marko(at)joh(dot)to, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: BUG #15888: Bogus "idle in transaction" state for logical decoding client after creating a slot
Date: 2019-07-10 07:55:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

On 2019-07-10 13:51:47 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 05:46:30PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Hmm ... so what that commit did is precisely to fix this bug.
> > Magnus thought at the time he was fixing a pg10 bug,
> > https://postgr.es/m/CABUevEwX4g8y=gmgfPzxFKS7gqjSYNR949Xc96OQm=YXJmh_Og@mail.gmail.com
> > but apparently now we see that the bug was older than that. Maybe it's
> > okay to backpatch further?
>
> Yes, I would not be against a back-patch in this case. There is a
> minor conflict because pre-9.6 WAL senders cannot run SQL queries but
> that looks simple enough to solve.

I'm not worried about backpatching that in isolation - but I'm worried
that just backpatching that indidividual commit isn't going to yield
particularly satisfactory behaviour. The code around this isn't super
robust, and pg10+ are noticably different due to the changes needed to
allow to execute normal queries over a replication connection.

Greetings,

Andres Freund