Re: BUG #15804: Assertion failure when using logging_collector with EXEC_BACKEND

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Yuli Khodorkovskiy <yuli(dot)khodorkovskiy(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15804: Assertion failure when using logging_collector with EXEC_BACKEND
Date: 2019-05-19 00:43:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 12:18:28PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> At this point I agree with Michael that reverting 57431a911 is the most
> prudent thing to do for beta1. While it's probably not *that* hard to
> fix, it will require Windows-specific testing. Moreover, the fact that
> there are race conditions involved means that one person's testing might
> not catch everything. So I do not think we have enough time to get a
> trustworthy fix in place by Monday. And we do have other things to
> worry about.

Thanks for confirming. There is little time for doing the revert, and
it would have been nice seeing comments from Peter. Anyway, I should
be able to do that myself in 24 hours or so after coming back in
front of my desk so as the buildfarm can have a couple of cycles for
its work. If you prefer doing that yourself, that's of course fine by
me.

> I wouldn't be totally opposed to un-reverting after beta1, if a
> better-tested patch emerges. But we don't have such a patch today
> and I don't see how we'll get there this weekend.

Possible. My recommendation is to keep this as potential v13 work and
focus on v12 stability. I have no doubt that after beta1 emerges we
will get enough reports to work on.
--
Michael