Re: BUG #15668: Server crash in transformPartitionRangeBounds

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: BUG #15668: Server crash in transformPartitionRangeBounds
Date: 2019-03-22 05:09:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 06:17:27PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> The thing is that in order to keep the tests for the crash, we finish
> with the inintuitive RTE-related errors, so it is also inconsistent to
> not group things..

As I have seen no feedback from others regarding the changes in error
messages depending on the parsing context, so I have been looking at
splitting the fix for the crash and changing the error messages, and
attached is the result of the split (minus the commit messages). The
first patch fixes the crash, and includes test cases to cover the
crash as well as extra cases for list and range strategies with
partition bounds. Some of the error messages are confusing, but that
fixes the issue. This is not the most elegant thing without the
second patch, but well that could be worse.

The second patch adds better error context for the different error
messages, and includes tests for default expressions, which we could
discuss in a separate thread. So I am not proposing to commit that
without more feedback.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Fix-crash-in-partition-bounds.patch text/x-diff 9.2 KB
0002-Rework-error-messages-for-incorrect-column-reference.patch text/x-diff 14.1 KB